Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2-Namesake Day

After reading Janet the Researcher's post and then Sheri's post at The Educated Genealogist, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post about names.

According to "Celebrate your Name Week", today is Namesake Day. A day to think about where you got your name.

I love the story behind my name. My name is Laura, and I am the youngest of six kids. My sister, child number five, is about seven years older than me. Around the time that I was born my family was reading the Little House on the Prairie series. My sister was given the opportunity to name her new baby sister. Pretty cool when you're a seven-year-old little girl. With Laura Ingalls Wilder fresh on her mind, she named me Laura. I'm not sure she was always so thrilled to have a new baby sister, but I've always loved that she named me.

1 comment:

  1. How did you get your name is a question I always ask in interviews. I think the most common answer I get (after "it was Mom or Dad's name") is: "Mom's best friend"! Names are special.

    ReplyDelete