Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unique Names Day

Continuing with the theme of the week, today is Unique Names Day.

My name is pretty common, but I think my daughter's middle name is unique.

Laree

It's a family name that my grandmother, Mabel Salmon Beautrow, created. It's my aunt's middle name also. I like it because I think it's pretty and it's special because it came from my grandmother. After she was named I realized that it's a combination of my sister's and my name. My name starts with "Laur" and my sister's name ends in "-ee".

Not the most outrageous name, but I've never seen it on a keychain.

As far as my family tree, I have a few unique names. Some of them, I'm assuming, weren't unusual in their day. My great, great grandmothers Aletta Roberts and Otelia Bell Via. My great, great, great grandmothers Ophelia Adeline Wolfe and Dee Ida Van Winkle. Who knows though, maybe they would think Laura was odd.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I happened upon your post as I was doing some research. I noticed you mention Otelia Bell Via as your great, great grandmother. My grandmother was Otelia Bell Via, and my grandfather was William Clinton Smith. My dad was Homer Smith. I think he was the next to youngest child. I don't have much information about my grandparents but would sure be interested to learn more. Seems on the Via side of the family it can be traced way back to Amer Via from France. If you would like to share any information I would be most happy to as well.
    Kind Regards
    Bob Smith bobsmithokc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete