Sunday, August 16, 2009

15 Aug Saturday Night Fun

After reading Randy Seaver's excellent questions for tonight's version of Saturday Night Fun, I couldn't wait to jump in.

After my genealogical hiatus (say that fast 10 times) I'm finding myself faced with some issues. I call myself an intermediate beginner. I'm not a total newbie, but I still feel very much a beginner. One problem I'm facing right now is trying to follow too many lines at one time. So tonight's SNGF came along at just the right time. I needed to evaluate what I was doing and where I was going.

So. . . here goes.

* What is your UGG - your "Ultimate Genealogy Goal" for the genealogy research that you wish to leave to your heirs, descendants and the genealogy community?

I think my UGG is to trace as much as my (and my husband's) family tree as I can. Since I'm trying to learn how to do things "right", that would mean having as much supporting documentation as possible.

* How long do you think you have have left to fulfill this ultimate goal?

Well, since I'm only in my early 30s, I hope I have decades left to enjoy this work.

* Are you prioritizing your time adequately in order to achieve this goal?

Um, . . . no. I homeschool our four children, and my husband is preparing to deploy. Things can be busy around here. The problem isn't as much a lack of time, but what I do with that time. After reading Randy's answers, I understand what he's saying about the time spent online, but I appreciate his conclusion. For me, the time I spend on blogs and Twitter and other online sites are part of my genealogical education. I'm here to learn.

Well, actually, I'm here to share too. It's fun to share with people who understand how absolutely THRILLED I can be at finding a death record. Or why I get tears in my eyes when I see a picture of the tombstone of one of my "favorite" ancestors for the first time.

* If not, what should you do to achieve the goal?

I need to prioritize my research. I can't just totally abandon other lines while I research a specific line, but prioritizing would go a long way towards my progress.

* Will you do what you need to do?

I hope so! What a wonderful problem to have that I have such a surplus of findings that I'm overwhelmed with where to start. It's a problem I'll take :)

Thanks, Randy for some great questions. I've missed SNGF. It's great to jump in.

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I enjoyed your response to the UGG. I know exactly what you mean about the online community. It's great to share what we've found with others who appreciate what those finds mean to us. While my immediate family sort of tolerate my genealogy talk, only my Aunt Dorothy who lives in Ohio and doesn't have a omputer shares my enthusiasm and when we get together every few years, the rest of the family steers clear of our little talks with each other about what we found since last we saw each other.

    Great post!

    Bill West

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point, with a busy family life, even when you are not working on research at a specific moment, you can be planning your research "in your head" (it's my favorite form of daydreaming these days), and you can always count on your fellow Genea-bloggers to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete